Dental Crowns Florham Park
Are you struggling with worn, broken teeth, enamel loss or tooth decay? If so, our dentist at A Healthy Smile Dentistry may be able to help you with porcelain dental crowns in Florham Park. Porcelain dental crowns are tooth-colored to look natural and are made of strong porcelain to protect your tooth and restore it back to functionality. Find out if porcelain dental crowns in Florham Park are the right restorative dentistry treatment for you.
What are Porcelain Dental Crowns?
You might be wondering what exactly a dental crown is. A dental crown is a piece of porcelain that is molded to take the shape of your tooth. It’s either placed like a cap over a broken or damaged tooth, or it is used with a dental implant to completely replace a missing tooth. Dental crowns are made of a variety of different materials like porcelain, ceramic, resin or even stainless steel. Each type of crown serves a different purpose and poses a different strength.
At a Healthy Smile Dentistry, we use porcelain dental crowns. This type of material is used for a few reasons. The first reason is that it is tooth colored so that your smile can look beautiful after your restoration. Another reason we use porcelain is that it’s strong. Porcelain dental crowns can last for years or even for the rest of your life if they are properly cared for.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Crowns?
There are a few different reasons you might be a good candidate for dental crowns in Florham Park. Take a look at this list to see the different problems porcelain dental crowns can address.
- You have cracked, broken or fractured teeth – Not only do broke, cracked or fractured teeth not look pleasant aesthetically, but they can lead to further dental problems if they are not covered with a dental crown. Your tooth can potentially become infected without treatment. Porcelain dental crowns can cover the damage and protect your tooth from future harm.
- You have large dental fillings – If your tooth has multiple large dental fillings in it, odds are your tooth structure is not very strong since there is more composite material than tooth. When this is the case, we cap your tooth with a dental crown to strengthen your tooth and protect your tooth from additional damage.
- You need root canal therapy – When you receive a root canal, our Florham Park dentist will need to drill a large hole in your tooth. Afterward, a dental crown can protect and strengthen your tooth and restore it back to function.
- You have tooth decay – If you suffer from severe dental decay, a dental crown can help restore your tooth and protect it from future decay.
- You have a missing tooth – Dental crowns are commonly used to replace missing teeth with the assistance of dental implants.
- You have cosmetic issues – Although dental crowns are not the most cost-effective way to enhance your smile aesthetically, they can give you your desired smile. Dental crowns can be made any color or shape to address certain cosmetic issues.
- Your teeth are worn down – In the case that you suffer from bruxism, or grinding and clenching your teeth at night, it’s common for your teeth to wear down. In order to restore your teeth back to their original shape, dental crowns will be needed.
Porcelain Dental Crowns Procedure Overview
Now that you know if dental crowns are right for you, you might want to know about the entire procedure process. First, you will need to schedule a dental exam with our Florham Park dentist. During the exam, she will identify any problems in your mouth and determine if any dental work needs to be done before the dental crowns are placed. We use a conservative approach when it comes to dental crowns. This means that we do little to no prep before the dental crown is placed. This is so that as little tooth structure as possible is lost in the process.
Once your tooth has been prepped or given any necessary procedures, our dentist will take impressions of your tooth. These impressions will be sent to the lab. In the meantime, you will wear a temporary crown until your permanent crown returns. When it returns from the lab, our dentist will ensure the color and shape are correct and that it fits properly. From there, the porcelain dental crown is bonded to your tooth. The porcelain dental crown cannot be removed unless by a dentist.
Porcelain Dental Crowns Aftercare
Once your dental crown has been placed, it’s important that you take proper care of it so that it can last for the rest of your life. You should know that porcelain dental crowns cannot be whitened. This is because porcelain is not a porous material. As a result, it will also not stain or can it get a cavity. Your porcelain dental crown is there to protect your underlying tooth, however, you still need to take proper care of your gums and surrounding teeth.
To take care of your dental crown, make sure that your brush your teeth at least twice a day and continue flossing daily. In addition, visit our dentist in Florham Park every 6 months for a dental exam and cleaning to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy. Dental crowns can break so it’s important to avoid inflicting any damage on them. This means that you should never use your teeth as a tool, chew on hard things like ice or hard candies, and be sure to wear a mouth guard if you play contact sports. Lastly, wear a night guard at night if you are prone to grinding or clenching your teeth while you sleep. Taking good care of your porcelain dental crowns can guarantee that they last a long time.
Visit our Florham Park Dentist for Porcelain Dental Crowns
If you think dental crowns might be a good dental treatment for you or you would like to learn more, visit our online form or give us a call at 973-377-2222 to speak with one of our staff. Our Florham Park dentist is here to help you achieve a beautiful and healthy smile for life.